Sunday, March 9, 2008

Running Music

I went for a nice run today and finally used my cell phone's pedometer feature. It was slightly inaccurate (I was supposed to have it at my hip, but only had a back pocket) but all in all, it was pretty good. I have noticed a real improvement in the amount of running I'm able to do, as well as the distance I am able to travel. I'm no Flo-Jo, but I'm pretty "ok" as far as first time runners go.

I have revamped my "Running Music" playlist, and I think that really helped. Re-tooling my music kept me in the "zone" and allowed my mind to wander to other things besides, "Ugg. I have a cramp" or "Ugg. I'm excercising." In fact, I have to admit, I really enjoy getting out and running my brains out.

Here it is:

I'm Going Home - Sacred Harp Singers (I warm up to this one)
Din Daa Daa - George Kranz (Get's me started really well, hypnotic)
I'm A Believer - Smash Mouth (Very important to NOT use Monkee's version)
Shake Your Thang - Salt -N- Pepa (I try not to stop and dance when the part comes that says, "Stick out ya butt an' shake what you got!)
There's Hope - India.Arie (I *LOVE* India.Arie, and this song IS me)
Proud Mary - Ike and Tina (the slow part is a good chance for me to walk a little or at least slow and take a breather)
Girlfriend - Avril Lavigne featuring Lil Mama (VERY important to get the Lil Mama version)
Ya Mama - The Pharcyde (features the lyrics, "Ya Mama so fat...How fat is she?..."gives me funny motivation in the middle of my run)
Stronger - Kanye West (this happened to come on while I was walking a STEEP hill that I don't normally run...and got me PUMPED!)
Push It - Salt -N- Pepa (another kind of hypnotic song, good beat-but sometimes I skip over it)
Rehab - Amy Winehouse (sometimes, well, most of the time, I sing right along with Amy in order to make sure I am still breathing at this point...and you all know me, I do NOT care if anyone sees me doing this)
Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen (Great song, great beat, keeps me going)
Gay Bar - Electric Six (see above comment for Punk Rock Girl)
Smack My Bitch Up - The Prodigy (provides much needed ass-kicking motivation at this point)
On A Plain - Nirvana (I love this song!)
Pass That Dutch - Missy Elliot (fun song, great beat, perfect for winding down)

Just thought I'd share in between blogs!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

Love the Gay Bar song- Rich went and saw them in concert after Julia's birthday party last year (translates to I cleaned up by myself)