The consignment store I shop at “rules.” End of story. It is in a semi-seedy looking shopping area tucked back away from the road, and flanked by a dermatology office/surgery center (mine…hence the way I first found it!), a Laundromat (of all things) and a Barbecue joint (go figure.) The first time I stepped inside, I was expecting a typical small thrift store type place, where you have to sift through outfit after outfit to find one semi-wearable garment. I tend to have horrible luck at places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx, I just can't ever seem to find a bargain! So, I usually play it safe and shop the sales at Old Navy or Target and wait for holidays and birthdays to get the expensive brand name "label" clothes as gifts for the kids from relatives. However…the racks and racks of brand name joy and ridiculously low-priced, high quality, barely worn excellence was enough for me to abandon everything I hold to be true and good in this world, and leap with both feet forward into creating two mini-fashionistas (meanwhile, I'm wearing Old Navy yoga pants and a sweatshirt someone's friend left in my dorm room in 1995.) But ALL of my kids' clothes are new...NEW TO THEM!
In my beloved consignment store, the racks are literally CRAMMED with shirt after shorts after pants after dresses…one thing cuter than the next. On my last visit, I dropped $260 and carted home two huge TRASH BAGS full of clothes. Plus, one of the owners was like, “This is just a tiny fraction of what we have, we simply don’t have enough space to put everything we have out! You should see what we have in the back…” That was enough to tickle my curiosity. Now, I have ONE rule...NOTHING over $10, preferably not over $7...For t-shirts and shorts or just "general playwear," nothing over $2.98 (one of their standard prices.) Even though I thought I was finished for the season (God love him, so did Andrew) a rash caused by wool socks and rubber boots (thanks Farm) sent me to the dermatologist, and I couldn’t resist poking my head in the consignment store. Again.
My “pull” this time was unprecedented. A very small quantity, but Oh My…the finds!!! Again, don’t “hate,” appreciate…Here goes…
Because who doesn't love a 3 year old in a Sailor Dress...especially when your dad is USNA Class of '71? Definite "bonus points," no demerits here!!!
This one was "new with tags," again, RIDICULOUS, and STILL within my "only under $10" rule. And this one literally screams "V!"
A little bit "risque" for Fifi, however, SOOOO cheap, I purchased this sassy little number as a costume for when we sing "Proud Mary" by Ike and Tina together. Of course, I get to be Tina and V has to be an "Ikette." You don't just get to BE Tina. You have to EARN IT!
A snazzy little July 4th number, in the $5 range. It's Andrew's favorite holiday, so I figured, "why not?"
And let's not forget our favorite boy!
M will look so sporty in these Polo shorts!
My piece de resistance...although a Size 8 (M wears a Youth 6), I couldn't resist. They are Brooks Brothers boy shorts... and SO totally adorable in real life. As I was leaving, one of the owners winked at me and said, "You just bought the best deal in the house!"If the Consignment Store was a dinosaur, it would be the T-Rex from "Jurassic Park" at the end, where it eats the Raptors...because at the end of my shopping trip, the The Consignment Store Ruled the World!!!
1 comment:
Isn't it great when you find a consignment store that's practically done your shopping for you? Great finds! The lobster shorts are adorable.
Post a Comment