Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Highest Honor

Our baby girl has more in common with Scarlett O’Hara than simply just her name. Sure, she looks creepily like her namesake (the brown hair and blue eyes really through us for a loop!), but also, much like Scarlett, our baby girl RULES. Sorry, we mean no offense. She’s just the sweetest baby girl there is. No contest.


Our little one, at less than age 3, is just her own little person. The nicest thing she can think of to say to you is, “Happy Birthday.” In our home, that is regarded at the highest compliment, and is answered with, “Thank You! Happy Birthday to you, too!”

In addition, from the time she was able to speak, the other highest honor in V’s world was (and IS) awarded to whomever she chose to “potty” her. We often envision her like Scarlett O’Hara entertaining beaus at the Twelve Oaks barbeque; choosing, which one of many, would be the one lucky enough to fetch her plate. The greatest award comes in the form of a PUP, (our word for POOP), if she manages to force one out (“I want to tinkle AND pup!”) for said honoree. Not so cute, anymore.

Tonight, we enjoyed an impromptu dinner with our best friends (our next door neighbors) and one of their sons. Knowing that it had been a while since V tinkled, I queried, “V-Do you need to tinkle?”

“Yeth,” she replied with her always adorable, soon to be outgrown, ever-present frontal lisp.

“Do you want me to take you tinkle?” I asked, (Of course not! I knew.)

So I asked...”Who do you want to take you tinkle?”

V regarded the question. She thought about it, looked around the room. She got that, “Scarlett-at-the-BBQ-look” on her face…


“I want…I want….I want Mr. Tony to take me tinkle!” V emphatically, enthusiastically replied.

Mr. Tony, our patient and understanding neighbor,, didn't miss a beat. He instantly and willingly obliged. Andrew, humiliated that V chose the only man in the room not related to her by blood to assist her in the bath, tried to help, but Mr. Tony, to the thrill of our little one, was fully capable of taking a 2 year old to the loo.

V did her business, complimented the neighbors in the way only she can, and balance (as usual) was restored to the universe.







No comments: