Wednesday, April 2, 2008

She Drives Around, All Over the Town...

One of my most favorite Saturday Night Live sketches is, Toonces, the Driving Cat. It makes NO sense. It’s the type of humor that was funny because it put a WHOLLY nonsensical situation (a cat that could AND DID drive) into, what appeared to be, “normal” reality. As if it was completely customary, to all those involved, that Toonces the Cat was getting in the car and DRIVING. That the warning, “Toonces, LOOK OUT!” was completely valid…but no one seemed to be worried that he was DRIVING, rather, that he wasn’t necessarily very good at it or paying attention The whole thing was genius and completely riotous. It’s what my deceased grandmother would call “simple.”


I worked at an all-feline animal hospital for YEARS, and I’m quite sure that I cannot recall a single cat named “Toonces.” Oh! The lack of creativity and wit! So I had to giggle, out loud, when I recently learned from my neighbor that she owns a cat named….”TOONCES!” (This bit of info is INFINATLY more hilarious if you know my friend Gretchen…she is a HOOT, and I LOVE her!!!) I think she was just as tickled that I actually knew what (or rather, WHO) Toonces the (famous Saturday Night Live) Cat was…

So…

Curious outdoor kitten + Careless husband who leaves his sunroof open =




4 comments:

Slacker Mama said...

Hey...thanks for the comments on my blog!

I think Toonces was one of my favorite skits of SNL, too! It cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

This was just too funny! We met one vet over the years that knew who "toonces" was...he just shook his head and said,"I can't believe you named your cat that." You add sparkle to our lives too friend!

SuperMel said...

OMG I'm dying laughing.

Remember when Toonces had his mouth open just before he runs off the road? Can you teach Sparkle that? lol

marathon mom said...

I loved Toonces! I am glad to see Sparkles, especially in the car! I always wonder what happened to Snickers.............