Friday, April 25, 2008

"You're off the edge of the map, Mate...Here there be monsters..."

Ever wonder how I named my blog? Think deeply about the movie quote, the character who said it, and the context it’s found in. I mean, at the end of the day, aren’t we all pirates, in our own little way?

Sometimes I need a break from the edge of the map. Channel your inner nerd, pour a glass of chardonnay (or 5), and play this game with me...

1. Pick 20 (or A MILLION!) of your favorite movies.
2. Go to imdb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess.
4. NO googling or imdb search functions. Totally cheating, you dirty cheaters.

I would LOVE comments on this one…

Pick your favorite 20 (or so…I have SO many favorite movies, I narrowed it down to 25, but gave the last one away as a tribute…) movies. Go to imdb.com, put the movie in, and then select a quote.

  1. “Don’t you make me hurt your dog, Mister!”

  1. ”Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?”

  1. “I don't think I want to know a six-year-old who isn't a dreamer, or a sillyheart. And I sure don't want to know one who takes their student career seriously. I don't have a college degree. I don't even have a job. But I know a good kid when I see one. Because they're ALL good kids, until dried-out, brain-dead skags like you drag them down and convince them they're no good. You so much as scowl at my niece, or any other kid in this school, and I hear about it, and I'm coming looking for you!”
    [of Anita's mole] “Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you, madam.”

  1. “STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY SIR!”

  1. “Well, I like art, I work in a gas station, my best friend is a tomboy. These things don't fly too well in the American high school.”

  1. “There are many perfectly nice cats in the world, but every barrel has its bad apples, and it is well to heed the old adage, "Beware the bad cat bearing a grudge."

  1. “Higher! Not that high. Stay in sync. One-two-three! And thrust it, thrust it, THRUST IT, COME ON, THRUST IT! AH! Ok, that's enough! Thank you, ladies.”

  1. “Because he's probably dead. His body will come popping up in the last reel somewhere. Eyes gouged out, fingers cut off, teeth knocked out! See, the police are always off track with this shit! If they'd watch Prom Night, they'd save time! There's a formula to it. A very simple formula!
    [yelling] Everybody's a suspect!”

  1. “Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?”

  1. [Guy]: Go on inside, boys, and make yourselves at home. You can rest up, get something to drink, f-ck my wife, whatever you want. Just don't do anything the good lord would'nt do.
    [Main Character]: [walking away with [other Main Character]] Dude, am I going deaf or did he just say we could f-ck his wife?

  1. “Matt and I have been coming up to these mountains with our dad our whole lives. We can hunt, we can fish, we can stay up here a long, long time.”

  1. “Hey you…Get your damn hands off her!”

  1. “What are you looking at, nerd?”
    “I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche-bag, but that's in Ohio.”

  1. “Asps. Very dangerous. You go first.”

  1. “No more rhyming now, I mean it.”
    “Anybody want a peanut?”

  1. “We don’t ride with vampires.”

  1. “I love you.”

“I know.”

  1. “First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules…”.

  1. “'Garçon' means boy.”

  1. “He looks as if... as if he knows what I look like without my shimmy!”

  1. “Oto-mo-biiile?”

  1. Doctor: Why do you say you feel “trapped” in a man’s body?

Convict: Well, sometimes I get them menstrual cramps real hard.

  1. “Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!”

  1. “Slider,” (SNIFF) “You stink.”

Yes, I know. It’s only supposed to be twenty. So sue me. And of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t include a quote from a movie that earned one of the stars (and most beloved actors in Hollywood history), the nickname “Dancey Legs” from my husband. So here’s to you, Patrick Swayze…I hope you get well soon. Pancreatic Cancer took the life of my beloved Grammy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

“Nobody puts Baby in a corner.”

Have fun!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great w/o your shimmy....

"Charlie don't surf!"

One Little Brownie said...

I only married me because you *aren't received*...Yeah, yeah...there are lots of our favorites I left out...

SuperMel said...

5. Some Kind of Wonderful
15. Princess Bride
17. Han Solo, my man
21. 16 Candles
24. Top Gun

"Put that steering wheel back on the left side where it belongs!"