Sunday, August 3, 2008

No More Rubber Soul

When it came to the music my son, and then subsequently my daughter, listened to I did what any uber-hip music-loving Momma would do, I traded Barney
for the Beatles.
There is spare little in the Children’s Music genre that I can stomach, so I made it my mission to provide my little ones with the best, most age appropriate music I could find whether it was originally intended for the delicate ears of babes or not. My Sister-In-Law (Font Fonder) has become an EXPERT on finding amazing, non-annoying kids music. One of her pics is their current “go to sleep” music. AND the bonus track is by my current favorite artist Brandi Carlile. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, like Elizabeth Mitchell is a folk singer who has several fantastic kid’s albums. On several songs, she collaborates with Lisa Loeb, a fav of mine growing up, which results in a pleasant musical experience for the kids and I, alike. They Might Be Giants also has several Children’s albums, however, their “rock” stuff (again, from my High School Listening Catalog) suits kids and adults, alike. I can even tolerate Laurie Berkner because she has me fooled into believing she is a FOLK singer, not a CHILDREN’S artist. Then there’s the REAL Kid’s Music…Although I grew listening to him, myself, there is only so much Raffi I can take. Like, one or two songs. And (sorry fans-you know who you are…ha…ha…I expect hate mail…) a little part of me dies inside when I hear anything by the Imagination Movers. They make me want to poke myself in the eye with the closest sharp object. It doesn’t really make sense, then, that I THANK JESUS each and every time I see DJ Lance and the rest of the Yo Gabba Gabba gang.


So much of my current life has been influenced by “Jumpy jumpy jump jump.”



That all being said…

We had a strange morning…we were jolted out of a dead sleep at 7:15 by V screaming (SCREAMING) on the stair case landing…it seems she had a nightmare about a snake (let’s revisit this, shall we?)


Big Daddy sprung out of bed and was carrying her down the stairs within seconds, and nestled her sweetly next to me, so I could cuddle her close and wipe her tears away.

Enter Big Brother M…who out of concern for his sister, was singing a song to calm her down and comfort her.


“You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man little girl
That's the
end'a little girl”

SHOCKED, and going over every “children’s” song and television show and video in my head thinking where in the HELL did he hear those lyrics…I asked M…

“Um…where did you hear that?!”

“It’s number 14 on my radio.”


GULP. Oh Dear God, No. There is just no undoing that.

I had, once again, underestimated the extent of M’s preternaturally insanely thorough memory…I’m not sure which was more surprising…that he knew the lyrics, or that he knew which number it was. I was reminded of a time we were driving in the van and M requested “Disc 4, Song 5” because it was his favorite. I didn’t believe him, so I made him sing a little bit of the song (James River Blues by Old Crow Medicine Show) and sure enough, he nailed it. The boy does like music!

So “number 14” turns out to be “Run For Your Life” by the Beatles, off the album “Rubber Soul.” A TOTALLY inappropriate song, but therein lies my mistake...the rest of the album is awesome...mellow and soothing. What starts off with the lyrics “Beep Beep, Beep Beep YEAH!” nonsense about driving a car, and then the comforting “Norweigian Wood” and later on…my all time favorite Beatles song, “In My Life,” ends with a song about, essentially, a misogynistic threat of offing an unfaithful girlfriend. What can I say, other than OOPS!

“CATCH YOU WITH ANOTHER MAN?” Big Daddy repeated of the lyrics M sang, so as to help his little sis get over her nightmare. And with that, we busted out laughing…

After a big, hearty guffaw at our FIERCE and FABULOUS parenting skills, Big Daddy announced that “Rubber Soul” will removed from “the rotation.” But that’s ok, there’s this song, “Angel of the Morning” by Juice Newton I think the kids would REALLY love…I wonder what it’s about?

MOTHER OF THE YEAR…FIVE YEARS RUNNING!!!



You likey? Click HERE

8 comments:

Stephanie M said...

10 am might be a little early for wine, but ANYTIME is the RIGHT TIME for Xanax.

SuperMel said...

LOL. Love that M. Give him a hug for me. (And Miss V.)

Glad you like the tunes...I have fun picking it out! I "found" some more (yes I am becoming like The Mom where I buy presents and forget where I put them, then "discover" them later).

And using "preternaturally"...triple word score. :)

Matt said...

"birdhouse in your soul" will just make your children dumber. But the tunes from They might be Giants are great.

SpaceMonkey said...

My son is almost 4 and loves music but everything that I have that isn't inappropriate or awful he says is "girl music." I would love some suggestions on music he might enjoy that wont drive me crazy! One more "fruit salad yummy yummy" and I'll be drinking wine at 10am... which is actually normal in some countries. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is too funny!

I like to try and find hip kids' music too, but have been known on more than occasion to just stick Raffi on!! LOL

I do want the new TMBG CD.

Bee said...

HA ha! Very funny! :o)

My niece has a memory like a steel trap. A lot of the times she'll memorize commercials and when I come will want me to but this or that product then quiz me weeks later on well they worked.

Unknown said...

My three year old jams hardcore to all the lovely music you mentioned, but alas nothing gets her moving like a little "My Humps", or "Bringing Sexy Back". It was really cute when she was 8 months old and she would bounce along, but now she sings along too and hearing her say "my lovely lady lumps, check it out" makes me want to get out the Mr. Roger's DVD.

lamandahugnkiss said...

Hilarious!

I love TMBG!