Saturday, June 7, 2008

Milestones...Part 1

I ran my very first 5K today. I have been working out since September, but only had two weeks notice to train. It was exhilerating, but also confusing. As I was running I was trying to figure out why humans run...I felt like a lemming...or a really fast sheep. It was a strange experience, but I definately want to do it again (even if that means I'm a lemming...)

According to my Garmin (that I copied from my sister-in-law because she knows the bestest stuff to get) our best pace was 9:30; and we finished in 35 mintues which was fantastic. I really could care less about the time, I was just happy to have run the WHOLE thing without walking! It was the very FIRST time I haven't given in to my inner laziness and took a break to walk. For me, it's never about being winded; it's about being bored. Running can be pretty mindless. Forest Gump had a 70 IQ, and for the majority of the race, I had Jenny's voice in my head yelling, "Run Forest, Run!" And then chastising myself for thinking simple. Bless.

I am too tired to write, but there is more on this fabulous day and I don't want to leave any of it out...The trip to the jewelry store (Hunt Country Jewelers or BUST...accept NO substitutes!) AND the Winery for wine tasting AND wine PURCHASING rounded out the perfect day

Please stay tuned for Part Two

4 comments:

SuperMel said...

You rock. I couldn't ask for a better sister-in-law. Thanks so much for spending the day yesterday - it was fun! Post-5K wine - the best. Next time, I'll bring some PBR for the Drew.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo impressed! I can only run when being chased. I have great aspirations, though! I have a big bad gym membership with a great daycare- now I just need to get my booty there!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 5K that is so awesome! I had every intention of running my first this Spring, but then I got pregnant and was too lazy!

Anonymous said...

Well done on your first 5K! I need to get my arse in gear to train for mine, but I keep finding excuses!!