Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Ain't Too Proud To...Consign?

Ain't Too Proud To...Consign??? Current mood: optimistic
In the same plaza as my FABULOUS dermatologist, there is a little shop called "Mommy And Me." It's a children's clothing consignment store. Growing up on "Goodwill" myself, I ALWAYS snobbishly (and stupidly) shyed away from consignment stores and thrift shops. I didn't like wearing used clothes, so why should my kids? In fact, when I was little, my mother took me to a thrift shop in the Anacostia section of Washington, DC. We weren't poor by any stretch of the imagination, but money was very tight back then, as it is for most young families. I remember the place smelled like mildrew and mothballs, and each item of clothing was more hidious than the next. The place was called Value Village, and I believe, there it stands to this day. We shopped there often and most of my elementary-aged photos are tarnished by plaid bell bottoms (it was 1980 at this point) and polyester and (GULP!) a tan velour skirt, which actually happened to be one of my favs.
I threw a royal fit when my aunt kept bringing me baby clothes from Goodwill before Max was born. MY precious newborn would NEVER wear "used" clothes. But after the first day of having him change clothes 5 times due to poo/urine/spit up etc. I was THANKFUL to have the "disposible" outfits. I didn't feel guilty when they acquired a stain and I had no trouble throwing them out when he outgrew them. The Priscilla Collection, as I came call my aunt's stash of thrift store goodies, came to the rescue on more than one occation.
One day when I was little my mother brought me to Anacostia (which if you don't know, is NOT where suburban mother's normally bring their youngsters) to purchase goods from the dreaded Value Village. We shopped and afterwards as we walked to our car, we were accosted by a woman who wanted money. My mother snapped at me to go to the car. My mother rummaged around her purse (these were the days before ATM's) and gave her a quarter. She then instructed the woman to "go make a phone call" and to "not by drugs with this." I was both terrified and horrified. Even at my young age, I was screaming in my head, "JUST GIVE HER THE MONEY AND LET'S GET THE EFF OUT OF HERE!" Well, I probably wasn't thinking the "f" word, but you get the idea. The transaction was complete and we went home. We never shopped at Value Village again.
So you can understand, aside from the your-too-poor-to-buy-your-kids-new-clothes stigma, I have some pretty rough memories of the thrift store. I am so happy to report that I am feelin' thrifty, once again. Because, readers, I didn't know the measure of quality consigned clothes hold. WOW! It was amazing! I bought a sweater for Max that looks like it's been worn once, and 4 dresses for Sweetie for a price I was SWOONING at! It was like Highway Robbery and I was the masked bandit! Max's new sweater is from Talbot's Kids. Now, I'm sure no one is checking my kid's labels (tres snobby, indeed!) but *I* know it's Talbots. One of Fifi's outfits is a cardigan sweater with strawberry shaped buttons and a matching black gingham skirt. And the total was $6. I'm sure it's never been worn. The funny thing is, Anderson is a "small town" so I'm SURE someone will see my children's clothes and think "Hmmm...I consigned that last year to Mommy and Me...Little Jimmy looked so sweet in it when it was new..." But I DON'T CARE! I got the cutest stuff and it didn't break the bank.
When you think about it, kids grow SO FAST so you literally have to buy them a whole new wardrobe every season. Attempting to do that is enough to cause EVERY family to file Chapter 13. Well, not me. No way. I like eating out. I LOVE jewelry, I love amazon.com and now that I have discovered Mommy's best kept secret...I can continue to live the lavish lifestyle that I am so accustomed to without having to dress my babies in gunny sacks. Ok, fine. My life is no where NEAR lavish...
So in the end, my mother was right, way back when. Mothers are ALWAYS right. And so the tradition continues. But I'll just tell my kids their clothes are new...new to THEM!

No comments: