Tuesday, January 13, 2009

*WHAT* Day is It?!








I was having a bad day.




V was home sick (unexpectedly, as is usually the case with kids in the 3 to 4 year old range) and I feel like, although I was every bit the devoted and doting Momma to my ailing cub, I got nothing I was supposed to do done. That included rescheduling a blood donation for a dear friend of mine who is scheduled for a total knee replacement next week.

Having spent the greater part of my day worrying about V, I found that as twilight approached, I had little time or energy for anything other than the glass of chardonnay waiting for me on the kitchen counter.

Enter M, who upon returning from Kindergarten was quietly and dutifully behaving and playing Legos in the wings. I should also mention that, ever the ubiquitous "big brother," he brought home a "surprise" for V...a "Hello Kitty" ring from his school snack...Kathleen's birthday cupcake.

"Momma?" He said, asking for my audience, he'd had VERY little "face time" this afternoon which was quite unusual for the two of us.

"Yes, M." I replied as I watched the nightly news (from bed...while eating my dinner...is that wrong?!)

"Guess what February 2nd is!?" he queried, excitedly.

With half of my attention focused on the South Carolina education budget cuts being spelled out to me on WYFF news, I answered, with distraction and slight annoyance, "I don't know, M what?"

"BEAVER DAY!"

He now had my full attention (and curiosity!)

I mean, I know times are rough, but what the eff are the teachers teaching the kids these days?!

"Beaver Day?" I repeated, with images of porn stars and furry woodland creatures dancing in my head, while I simultaneously tried to make logical sense of it in my mind...(which inevitably was in the gutter...)


"Yes, BEAVER DAY. It's also Joshua's birthday..."

Suddenly I understood and I interrupted him---

---"M, M, M..." I stuttered. "Do you mean Groundhog Day?"

A slow and silent recognition flashed across M's face, as HUGE grin grew where a look of perplexion once lived.

"OH yeah..." he laughed to himself, "Groundhog Day!" and I was unable to stifle my laughter.


NOW it was a good day.

And...scene.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm coming home early that day!

Anonymous said...

Too funny, pretty lady. Loved the pix and cartoons. We have a ground hog in our back woods. I even had to have someone tell me that's what it is...at first I thought it was a beaver!!! True.