Saturday, December 20, 2008

O! Christmas Tree!




My mind was a million miles away as M tried to ask me a simple question. I had already taken Kona the Wonder Dog on a 2 mile walk, enjoying the unseasonably warm December weather and the calm quiet of an early Saturday morning. And it wasn’t even 8 am yet. Admittedly, I have a lot on my mind this holiday season, and as M spoke to me, I heard the words he was saying, but paid little attention to their meaning in regard to what he was asking me. Besides…he wasn’t making any sense!

“Mom-ma!” he asked again, “Did you hang my ornament on the time bomb?”

“Hmm? What M?” I replied, as the realization of what he was asking faded back into conscious. Usually M asks very intelligent, very intellectual-type questions. Or busts out with random math equations…in fact, shortly before asking me about “time bombs” he was showing me how he could count BY SEVENS to 100. Typical M.

To be honest, I was a bit irritated with myself for being annoyed by M’s nonsensical query. When he asked a final time, I was unable to suppress my frustration and I snapped.

“Momma…Did you hang my ornament on the time bomb?” He asked, in earnest.

“M! WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? NO! I DID NOT HANG YOUR “ORNAMENT” ON A TIME BOMB!!! AND FURTHERMORE, I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR YOU SAY “BOMB” AGAIN!!! I gasped for air.

“Momma, “Time Bomb” means “Christmas Tree” in GERMAN."


…

(And just so you know, the answer was YES, I already had placed his ornament on the Tannenbaum)

1 comment:

SuperMel said...

Missing you this Christmas Eve! Hope Santa makes everyone's wishes come true. Hugs to you, M, V, and that bro of mine. :)